Friday, September 21, 2007

What I still need to teach My Grumpy!


I wrote about what Princess Grumpy has taught me today on our family blog spot. http://thegrumpyfamily.blogspot.com/ . But I thought I would devote a little of this today to discuss what I feel Princess Grumpy still needs to learn!

She needs volume control. She needs to learn when it is OK to scream and when, not to. She needs to learn to not say little comments so loud that it make her mother want to crawl under the table (incident at our favorite Mexican restaurant when she couldn't figure out why a very nice gentleman was wearing earrings and a dress). But the funny (or really scary) thing ...or really scary....was that she related this to a story line on my Soap Opera "ALL MY CHILDREN" and their story line about transsexuals. Big and correct jump for a little girl.

She need to slow down. (common complaint about me to... so I guess you really learn with what you live with). She is always moving and doing and planning and thinking and ...... I guess the apple doesn't really fall that far .... but I want hers to roll a little bit so she can make sure she has a chance to enjoy life, meet great people, and really see the universe as it is unfolding before her. Princess Grumpy only seems to stop moving when the TV is on and it is something she wants to watch ...and then it is so scary the way she zones in and tunes the world out that I think a lot about throwing all TVs out of the house.

She needs to find consistent general awareness. I see such sparks and flickers of wonder and amazement, but sometimes we go back to our little world. Someday I hope that my Princess Grumpy realizes the world doesn't revolve around her. (....ah....but she is four and a princesses so in her mind the world DOES exist and revolve only her). I hope I can teach her to help and appreciate others and not be looking or using people in a way that is more "what they can do for her". I really don't want her to be a "user" or a "taker" like I see a lot of children now a days.

Grumpy needs to find consequences and learn that actions affect people. She thinks that batting those beautiful, deep expressive eyes will get her anything. (and with strangers, waiters, service people, her older brother...it does) A lot of the time I often wonder if I am to hard on her. After parenting her two older siblings , you would think I would know what to do...but Adrian is a different child, with different needs. I guess I am doing OK most of the time because Dad and Grandma think I am too easy on her (most of the time) and Aunt Karen & a few friends think I am to hard (a lot of the time). Most days the thinking chair is her best friend!

Mainly I really want her to maintain her beautiful soul! I don't want to see her corrupted, I love her spirit, her enthusiasm, her ferocity, her sly humour and sarcasm (remember she isn't a teen yet) and the zest and zeal she demonstrates daily.
SO my dear Princess Grumpy I promise that I will try to demonstrate and exemplify good qualities for you. I will attempt to not to yell as quickly. We will have lots of hugging, snuggling & special mommy time ( you have to share with the rest though); to pick you up physical and emotionally when your are sad. I promise to be there for you when you realize the world isn't always just and that people are not always nice as they seem. I promise try to give you the space you will want someday and are starting to demand!!! (I'll work on daddy and grandma too) I will try to listen to you all of the time. Really listen and not judge when you need me to be your mom. I promise to let you fail and to be there to help you learn from these events and I will try not to fix them for you!

And when that day comes and you realize "really realize" that your family is not "typical" and what being a sister to a "bunch of retards" really means. (thanks little brat at walmart this past weekend) I will be here to talk and help you grow from that experience too. Just please don't hit them back! I hope I will have taught you well enough to just turn and walk away... but if not I'll be there to post bail.

I just have one thing to ask from you!!! Just once and a while !!!LET ME SLEEP!!! & quit taking the dental floss and decorating the house like it is Christmas!

No comments: