Thursday, September 20, 2007

The Big Treasure Hunt


This morning was school picture day for Princess Grumpy's older siblings. Why this affects her, is how it effects her mom. It makes me crazy. I have to find clothes that won't clash with the backgrounds, there are forms and money that have to be remember, we have to bath and do hair (not that we don't do this every day...) but it has to be "PERFECT". Let's just say that as with other years ...mom feels like it was a fiasco...and dad got to miss it for ethics training or something (I would believe he made that up to miss the picture day excitement....except nobody wants to be at work that early without a good reason).

So somehow we managed to get all of them dressed and ready for school, sparkling and pretty and Melea's braids as equal as I could (she actually wanted me to do her hair today- so I was surprised). in all this Princess Grumpy comes to visit! She realizes that she is not getting her picture taken and is really mad! She starts to whine and whimper!

We have five minutes till the first bus arrives and I am making sure that the young Prince and the four Princesses all had something to eat and drink, and their bags are packed. I then realize I forgot that is is Thursday "popcorn day" at school and Colin & Melea will need quarters for popcorn.

I can't go get them upstairs myself, i am afraid the ensuing chaos 3 minutes of time away from all of them will bring if I leave, ....remember that Eric has managed to get out of picture "morning" fun. Adrian is still crying and now adds she doesn't get popcorn to eat at school as another reason. I am so trying not to laugh at her cause she is really reminding me of Lucile Ball at this moment and Melea has her hands over her ears.

I get an idea which could be good or bad....it really depends on how it goes. Princess Grumpy will get them! I ask Adrian if she will go upstairs to daddy's office and bring me back two quarters. I am going to time her and give her 5 minutes before I come get her and by royal command she is not supposed to stop and play with Prince Jordan or wake him up if he is sleeping. (So at this point all of you are going ...well.....you are just asking for it Jane......)

In a microsecond that would have even Einstein convinced things can move faster than light- she stops crying jumps down from her seat and salutes me and runs off upstairs toward the bedroom. I remind her gently "5 minutes and two quarters".....the next thing I realize is she is back with a little purse and she says to me "mom ...are quarters silver or brown?" I am starting to actually see the folly in my plan, so I just say "fill the purse with a handful of change and I will figure out when you get back" So of she goes running at the speed of light jumping over Eliza on the way out the door. SHE IS A PRINCESS WITH A MISSION!!!

I hear a few crashes and something drop and in about a minute I hear from somewhere upstairs a low rumble then a "mom don't worry- I am all right....I' am going to make it...keep timing!

The next thing (course there was a french braid and an apple bar and a diaper change in between) I know I feel someone grab me around my waist and I squeeze me saying "I did it, I did it, I did it....." I am looking for blood , waiting for the scream from Jordan and I look puzzled as she holds out her hand to me and drops two (exactly two) quarters into it and she smiles and hugs me and tells me thanks for trusting her.

Trusting Adrian is always hard, she loves to get into thing and is a "Fold, spindlier and mutilator" of books, likes to wrap my canopy bed with dental floss and pretty much stops at the mirror to pretend with make up any chance she can get. I really thought this wouldn't work....but she stands there so proud and exuberant with the results of her quest in my hand now... she take them back and counts them out again and says "look Colin this is two.... one...two." You can have your popcorn, and gives him a hug!

I am pleased she did it, I am pleased she was helpful and I am pleased that there are currently no more tears, and possibly I am a little pleased with myself. I start to think hey...maybe today won't be so bad after all. For a few glorious second I think we have shared a typical mom and daughter moment...she is happy and I am happy and no Princess Grump in site any more just my beloved Adrian.

The preschool bus gets here a minute early and we start getting ready to leave I hug her and say thanks and in all innocence and adoration the eyes blink, and there she is again my Princess Grumpy. She looks up at me and says mom "that will cost you a quarter.....you know the big silver one." I snicker inside, then I hear her say " You only get three minutes not five your legs are longer and your butt is fat so you can run faster than me...... GO!!!! NOW!!!!!MOM!!!!"

No comments: