Friday, September 28, 2007

Today's Bad haircut!





Today I really am no longer pretending to be a mom.

After six children …both biological and adopted…you would think I would have conquered this issue already. But before we were ever parents I made up a least of things that had to happen to make me feel like the “real” parent and not a “stand in” Today that happened. The last thing uncompleted ….was child cuts hair with scissors !

Well today my beautiful Eliza was given a haircut by Princess Grumpy!

I have been trying to get Eliza’s hair to grow and get longer since she moved in almost one year ago. Her hair was really stringy and has a ton of cowlicks (common in some children with ds) as well as children with certain medical issues. We worked hard on this and she finally had a whole new head of hair and I could get some pony tails in the little bob.

Adrian came home from school and wanted to play beauty shop….not that strange she loves to do hair. She had Eliza sit in our little chair and got out her tools. I took Jordan and Miranda for a diaper change. I told her I would be right back for Eliza and we needed to eat lunch because Miranda’s PT was coming soon.

I was out of the room for a few minutes (less than 5) and I had the intercom on. You would think that I would know Grumpy by no…no noise is not good. I changed the diapers and got the littlest one set to eat. I come back and I can’t find either of them and there are dark brown tresses on the floor.

First I think that Adrian or Eliza has pulled out some “doll’s hair. I start looking for the kids …again not a really good sign….I find Eliza sitting under the table showing off her new haircut to the cat. Adrian is still hiding. I am utterly amazed at how she knows what she did is not good and hides and then lies about it. (Four year old’s for ya!)

I yell and send her off to her room…she goes way to easily by the way…which means she really knows this was bad! I start to get Eliza out and it is not just a chunk….she made her look like Tinkerbelle!!!! And what is even worse…it really isn’t that bad! Especially for a little girl her age.

I cry a little, cuss a lot…sorry for all OT’s names I took in vane who really felt my children needed to learn to use a scissors…I KNEW THIS WOULD HAPPEN!!! And just in time too…. next week are school pictures for the preschool crowd….yikes.

Adrian is in her room…there are no tears…none of the usual fake screaming…she knows she is in big trouble. I tell her I will bring her lunch to her room because she is not coming out for a while.

I make her sandwich start everyone else eating and call our favorite hair stylist shop. All the while praying she is there today….cause cutting Eliza’s hair is like cutting a moving target and our Sarah is great at this…. Basically we really don’t want anyone to touch the kids hair she is that awesome and they usually make it that difficult. I am in luck because she will be there till 3 pm!!! Good news for me!

I get a babysitter (thanks SH) and am getting ready to run out the door with Eliza…Princess Grumpy yells down the hall…”mommy, can you go ahead and yell at me….the longer you wait the more mad I know you are going to get….when you get so mad and don’t yell I get really scared….I really am sorry …I hate it when you are disappointed in me….so please yell at me so I can feel better”. I tell her when I get back we will TALK about this….but for right now she is safer in her room.


After Adrian but before Sarah!

I take Eliza to McDonald’s to pick up a happy meal, Miss Sarah squeezes us in ....THANK SO VERY MUCH!!! Miss Sarah! She was so awesome and was able to fix it (course I wanted the pony tails back…not able to do that. But she marvels that other than a few places she really did a good job for her age…I realize that I couldn’t have done better than my four year old…I also realize that I am not that mad….. it is just ironic that Princess Grumpy can finally make me feel like a "real" mom four years after her birth....

But urgh……that Grumpy….
AFTER SARAH!!! THANK YOU!!!!

2 comments:

TAmmy said...

I can not beleive this has happend to you jane im so sorry but i have to tell you that i have found it pretty funny. I can remember my children cutting there hair yes i was upset but i really think its funny now. I just love those kids of yours

S. said...

OMgoodness, her little speech to please come yell at her was so funny! I gave myself bangs the night before school pics in second grade. You aren't alone!